Tuesday 3 March 2015

Monday 2nd Pt 1 - R's day in Mcloudyganj

R here, D left at 4.55 a.m and I have the day to myself. I decided upon a bit of light retail therapy.  It was raining, cold and windy so I decided to stay put until it let up a bit. This it did within the hour and I sallied forth on to the street which was rapidly becoming a river. Monday is a day a lot of the businesses here abouts close so it was a trifle quiet as I manoeuvred round the cars and over the puddles.

I found the Tibet Handicraft Centre and spent a jolly hour browsing and buying totally necessary items to take home. The chap in the shop said go and see the carpet weavers in the workshop next door and I was stunned by the craftsmanship and artistry of the ladies. I will bring D here as I would like to take one of the little carpets home.

After lunch and the rain was just as heavy but I wanted to visit the Tibetan temple complex. Walking down the hill again made me very wet and I was a bit nervous but nobody paid the slightest attention to me. I was able to visit the shrines and wonder at the art. The place is full of monks and nuns swathed in maroon robes sitting on mats which surround the inner sanctum. At one point the cloud decended and enveloped everyone in a ghostly miasma. I loved the whole place and will go again tomorrow. But in the meantime, tea!




1 comment:

  1. I missed the handicrafts center at Mcllo. A nun had pointed it out to me but it was about two kilometers off from where I was. I went to lunch instead.

    ReplyDelete